New ISVV Guide for Space in the Works
Critical Software is leading the work on an updated Independent Software Verification & Validation handbook for the European Space Agency.
Critical Software is working with Danish-company Rovsing on an updated Independent Software Verification & Validation (ISVV) handbook for the European Space Agency (ESA).
Released Technical Notes
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2019-RPT-03999-R-1.1.pdf ([R-1.1] Verification of Software Requirement Baseline and Concept Documentation)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00372-R-1.2.pdf ([R-1.2] Improvement of the Independent Validation Activity)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00373-R-1.3.pdf ([R-1.3] ISVV Level Re-assessment)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00374-R-1.4 - Metrics.pdf (ISVV METRICS DEFINITION AND COLLECTION FRAMEWORK)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00375-R-1.5.pdf ([R-1.5] ISVV Statement of Work Template)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00376-R-1.6.pdf ([R-1.6] Verification of the Unit Test Specification)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00377-R-1.7.pdf ([R-1.7] Clarification of ISVV Activity Outputs)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00378-R-1.8.pdf ([R-1.8] Revisit Current ISVV Tasks Regarding Their Effectiveness)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00379-R-1.9.pdf ([R-1.9] Lessons Learned Collection Framework)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00380-R-1.10.pdf ([R-1.10] Independent Verification and Validation of Software Dependability and Safety Activities)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00381-R-1.11.pdf ([R-1.11] Continuous ISVV Process)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00384-R-1.14.pdf ([R-1.14] Miscellaneous inputs on ISVV processes)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2019-RPT-03858-R-2.1.pdf ([R-2.1] ECSS-E40C and ECSS-Q80C impact on ISVV processes Technical Note)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2019-RPT-04000-R-2.2.pdf ([R2.2] Align the document structure with the ECSS Handbook documentation format)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00384-R-3.2.pdf ([R-3.2] Independent verification and validation of configuration data)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00385-R-3.4.pdf ([R-3.4] Independent verification and validation of auto generated code Technical Note)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2020-RPT-00386-R-3.5.pdf ([R-3.5] Independent verification and validation when using Model Based Techniques Technical Note)
- CSWPT-ESAISVV-2019-RPT-04073-R-3.8.pdf ([R-3.8] Modern and alternative methods & techniques to perform independent verification and validation)
Soon to be released Technical Notes
- [R-3.1] Independent verification and validation of reused software
- [R-3.6] Independent verification and validation of SW developed following an iterative model
- [R-3.7] Independent verification and validation of agile developed systems
- [R0.1] Additional/Generic ISVV Improvement Topics
Optional Technical Notes (currently being drafted)
- [R-1.12] Reassess the ISVV industrial context
- [R-1.13] Complementarity of ISVV activities
- [R-1.15] Level 2 description improvements
- [R-2.3] Traceability between ESA ISVV Handbook and International Standards
- [R-2.4] Independent verification and validation from other space domains
- [R-2.5] Independent verification and validation from non-space domains
- [R-3.3] Independent verification and validation of complex electronics (ASIC/FPGA-based designs)
Upcoming key project milestones/main events are as follows:
- October 2019 – November 2020: Assessing the ISVV improvement suggestions.
- October 14th, 2020: Presentation of ISSRE 2020 Industry Track paper “Independent Verification and Validation for the Space Industry: Guide Evolution Experience.”
- October 21st, 2020: Presentation at 14th ESA Workshop on Avionics, Data, Control and Software Systems ~ ADCSS2020.
- November 2020 (exact dates TBC): An ISVV workshop involving stakeholders and the space community to discuss the improvement suggestions and consider other suggestions.
- October 2020 – early 2021: Writing the handbook, including two rounds of public reviews.
The relevant project documentation can be found here:
- ISVV Handbook Questionnaire Instructions
- ISVV Handbook Questionnaire
- ISVV Handbook Questionnaire Rationale
- TN1: IVV Collection Improvements Technical Note
- Other project documentation can be requested at email@example.com.
Want to know more about our work?
Browse our downloads and discover more about what we do, projects we've worked on and the results our customers enjoy.